The benefits of hiring a freelance developer are many. By hiring a developer for a fixed assignment, a small company like yours can access high quality skills and thus keep their investment low. They can also get their application developed, integrated, or migrated quickly and even try out the developer if the project is likely to be for an extended period.
So, while the benefits are many, those looking to hire a developer for a critical assignment may be wondering, “what are the top 5 things to look for when hiring a developer.
The criteria can differ slightly based on your needs, but here is our list.
- Review the developers’ technical skills – this of course is a no-brainer. Review the developers’ CV carefully and ensure he/she is well-versed in the technology you plan to develop your application in, be it Magento, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Akeneo, or any other. If you know the version in which you wish your application developed, check that too.
- Carefully go over the developers’ experience –ensure the developer has done the assignment you will give him, many times before. Also check how many projects the developer has previously worked on.
- Review the reference work provided by the developer – at this phase you can also request for a couple of previous clients you can talk to. This is helpful if your assignment is large, spread over months, requires the developer to partner with your team at some phases, and even bring previous best practices to your project.
- Set up a couple of calls with the freelancer – explain your need to the developer in detail and find out how he/she handled similar projects, previously. Also ascertain the developers’ communication skill. This is relevant if your developer is in a different country. Ensure you have one common language to communicate in. On these calls you will also be able to gauge whether you and your company will vibe with the developer and review his/her work ethics. Everybody wants to work with a trustworthy person. On the calls you will also understand the strengths the freelance developer will bring to your assignment.
- Check if the developer is part of an agency – your project is critical and irrespective of the size of the company, your time to market is shrinking. You need a developer who can work smart and fast. But you should also have a plan B. For instance, what happens if your developer falls ill for a few days or is drawn away to attend to an urgent personal commitment. Here it helps if you have hired a freelancer from an agency who can enable another developer to step in and take over seamlessly. This is a key reason why small and medium businesses hire web developers from Navabrind IT Solutions.
Do you need to hire a web developer? We are a full-stack development company. We are acquainted with over 10 technologies – front-end, back-end, and databases. We have developed, customized, integrated and maintain applications for our clients in industries which range from e-commerce and retail to logistics.
Contact us if you would like to inquire into how you can hire a developer from us, or simply just to start a conversation.